A value proposition is a clear statement detailing the promise of value to be delivered and the reason why a potential customer should buy from you.
It is the #1 thing that determines whether people will be turned on or off by your product or service.
Getting the value proposition right can give a huge boost to your companies conversion rates, but a poor or missing one will have your audience clicking the back button in seconds.
Your value proposition should clearly state:
- What specific benefits will be delivered (quantified by value)
- The differentiation between you and the competition – why they should buy from you.
- How your product or service will solve or improve your customer’s problem
On a website, the value proposition should be the first thing visitors see on your homepage. However, it is important to have it visible in all other entry points of the website too.
As a rule, the value proposition usually consists of a block of text (including a headline, sub-headline and a sentence or two of text), accompanied by a relevant image (a photo or graphic).
Use this guide to help you get started:
- Headline: Grab the customer’s attention. Explain what your product/service is and what the problem is you are solving in 1 short sentence. What is the end-benefit of using it?
- Sub-headline: A specific reason why your product or service is useful and unique.
- Paragraph: Keep this to one or two sentences which detail who the target customer is and what your company does. Use bullet points if you prefer to list the key features or benefits.
- Image: This visual should reinforce your message and be relevant to what you are offering.
Always make sure your message has clarity and is easy to understand. It should be written in the language of the customer and immediately address their problem. Draw people in with a sufficient amount of text to leave them with a clear and compelling value proposition. Avoid using superlatives, such as ‘the best’ or ‘most amazing’ as they will just come across as jargon.
If you are struggling to come up with something that makes you unique and more attractive to customers, try adding some extra value to your proposition with the following offerings:
- Cancel contract at any time
- Free set-up
- Free shipping
If your company lacks a value proposition, it’s time to adjust. Find out how to reposition your offering at The Munro Agency